The Annual Giving Manager is an integral part of the Sunflower Hill Advancement Team. The Annual Giving Manager will be primarily responsible for planning and executing the organization’s fundraising events, securing event sponsors, growing Sunflower Hill’s monthly giving program, establishing and strengthening relationships with current and prospective donors, and collaborating with Sunflower Hill staff members on fulfilling the organization’s fundraising goals.
The essential functions listed below are general examples and not a description of comprehensive duties. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on the organization’s needs without changing the nature or scope of this position or level of responsibility. The Annual Giving Manager may be asked to perform other duties as assigned.
- Event planning: Plans and executes two major fundraising events per year, including managing a team of volunteers, working with local vendors, collaborating on developing event communication strategies and materials, soliciting live and silent auction items, and securing event sponsors.
- Strategy: In collaboration with Senior Leadership and the Advancement Team, works to further develop the organization’s monthly giving program, including developing partner benefits and an annual event(s) designed to recognize and energize monthly donors.
- Fundraising Targets and Portfolio Management: Manage an assigned portfolio of donors and prospects with the intent to discover further donor potential.
- Relationship Development: Develop and strengthen relationships with existing donors and prospects through phone interaction, in-person meetings, and strategic engagement initiatives. Work with the Advancement Team to help create a stewardship plan that aims to retain donors and upgrade their giving levels based on a thorough understanding of Sunflower Hill’s mission, vision, and priorities. Help to implement programs, activities, and events to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors and/or event sponsors at the $1,000 level or higher, with an emphasis on maximizing revenue for Sunflower Hill.
- Accurate Record Keeping: Document all communications and interactions with donors by entering reports in the organization’s donor database (Salsa Labs) in a timely manner.
- Carries out any additional assignments required to fulfill the mission and vision of Sunflower Hill.
This is a full-time, 40 hour per week position. Must have the ability to work a flexible and varied schedule, including some evenings and weekends, to accommodate organizational events.
- College bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Experience planning and executing large scale events required.
- Fundraising and donor cultivation experience required.
- Experience in qualifying donors through donor discovery and proven success with straightforward requests.
Licensure and Other Requirements
- Valid CA driver’s license and automobile insurance
- Travel: Requires some travel within the Tri-Valley region.
- Ability to pass background check
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability
- Proven ability to track key event performance areas and identify items to improve upon for future events.
- Ability to relate well and work effectively with multiple constituencies, audiences, and vendors.
- Proven relationship building, along with the ability to build rapport with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills, along with attention to detail.
- Must possess the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated writing skills in the preparation of proposals and drafting of related correspondence.
- A flexible and supportive approach toward working with teams, but also must have the ability to work independently.
- A team player committed to developing and working within a collaborative environment.
- Knowledge of the Tri-Valley/Bay Area fundraising landscape.
- Serves as an enthusiastic, articulate, and visible spokesperson for the organization.
- Intermediate or higher computer skills: MS Office applications and comfortable learning new software programs, including an online fundraising/auction platform. Knowledge of fundraising database systems (Salsa Labs) preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENT/WORKING CONDITIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Generally, works in an open office environment. While Covid-19 related restrictions are in place, this position may be remote.
- Desk-based computer tasks, as well as sitting, using the telephone, and driving throughout the Tri-Valley.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Sunflower Hill strongly values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity and non-discrimination in all of its policies and practices, including the area of employment and volunteering. Accordingly, Sunflower Hill does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity and/or expression, religion, age, national or ethnic origin, political beliefs, marital status, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status or disability, or the perception of any of the above. People of all genders, members of all racial and ethnic groups, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Qualified applicants with criminal convictions will be considered after an individualized assessment of the conviction and the job or volunteer requirements.
To apply for the Annual Giving Manager position, please email us a cover letter and resume.